RV Insurance

RV insurance is like having auto and home insurance in a single policy. Like car insurance, your RV insurance policy will cover you for any accidents that occur when you're on the road. Then when you are camping or parked, your RV becomes your home and you will be protected against theft, fire, liability and other disasters.

RV insurance covers you in two ways:

Liability Insurance

Your recreational vehicle is, just like an automobile, a moving vehicle that can cause bodily injury and property damage to others. In order to help pay for any damage you inadvertently inflict, you should secure liability insurance. This policy can also help cover the cost of environmental cleanup after an accident that causes the spillage of a toxic chemical or other pollutant.

Liability coverage will have limits that work on both a per-incident and per-policy basis. They may also have a deductible that requires an out-of-pocket contribution for each incident or year.

Property Coverage

Recreational vehicle coverage can include financial compensation in the event of physical damage, vandalism, theft and collision. In addition, your policy may allow for reimbursement of personal effects stored on a vehicle such as an RV, boat or snowmobile.

In some cases, you may want to consider adding specialized coverage for additional risks including the loss or damage of awnings and custom equipment. 

What does an RV insurance policy cover?

There are several classes of recreational vehicles and they each need special insurance:

  • Class A covers RVs built like large commercial buses. This kind of motor home is complete and contains everything you need. Some of these homes are very expensive, costing up to a few hundred thousand dollars.
  • Class B vehicles resemble vans, but have taller ceilings so you can stand up inside. They also have a longer wheelbase to accommodate the weight and additional room they provide.
  • Class C vehicles are large vehicles made from trucks or vans.

In addition to your RV, your insurance policy can cover fifth-wheel trailers and the following items:

  • Toy haulers 
  • Horse trailers 
  • Pop up campers 
  • All terrain vehicles including three- and four-wheelers

Additional options

In some cases, you may want to consider adding specialized coverage for additional risks including the loss or damage of awnings and custom equipment.

  • Camper liability to protect you in the event of an accident or injury that happens inside your mobile home or on the lot/camp site.
  • Extra bodily and property damage liability is not uncommon, especially if you have an expensive and large RV.
  • Roadside assistance is a worthwhile feature that could really save you time and money even if you only use it once. 
  • Emergency expense money
  • Total loss coverage
  • RV contents coverage
  • Insurance for any ATVs you may be towing, both for damage they may sustain being towed or being driven.

Please keep in mind that if you have an RV that you live in part or full time, you may need extended protection. Let us know if this is the case, and we will make sure that you're fully covered.

We're here to help

We know that insurance can seem overly complicated at times. That's why we're here.

If you have any questions about your existing coverage or want to discuss insurance for your RV or other seasonal toys, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are always happy to help.