Get A Quote Contact Us Home Page

College students bring a lot of things to campus: laptop, textbooks, microwave, bicycle, and clothing. What happens if any of these things are destroyed, lost or stolen while your child is away at school?

Is anything covered by your insurance? Maybe. If your college student lives in a dorm room on campus, your homeowner’s policy will extend to cover the items he or she takes to school, up to a 10% limit on your total coverage for personal property.

For example, if your homeowner's policy has a $100,000 limit on personal property, your child's possessions will be covered for up to $10,000 while they’re on campus. Keep in mind that coverage is subject to your policy's deductible.

Unfortunately, your insurance coverage will not extend to your child's things if your son or daughter lives off campus in their own apartment or house. In this case, we recommend your child purchase their own renters insurance policy to ensure their belongings are properly covered.

A renters policy typically offers three types of protection:

Personal Property:
Covers your child’s possessions in the event of fire, theft or vandalism

Protects your child against a claim or lawsuit if a guest is injured while visiting the property

Additional Living Expense:
Pays for temporary housing and meals if your child is unable to stay in their rental while it’s repaired after a covered loss

Renters policies are incredibly affordable, usually less than $10 per month to cover thousands of dollars of personal belongings. Having renters insurance means your child is in good shape if their roommate leaves the coffee pot plugged in and starts a fire. Their destroyed belongings will be covered, and they’ll be reimbursed if they have to stay in a hotel while the fire damage is repaired.

School is starting soon! Give us a call at 509-327-1658, and we'll make sure your student is covered before heading back to campus.

Posted 2:00 AM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015

View Mobile Version
Social Media
HELPFUL LINKS: Home About Us Get A Quote Blog Contact Us We protect what matters most
© Copyright All Lines Associates, Inc. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder
Automobile Insurance Homeowners Insurance Commercial Insurance Life Insurance
Find Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google Connect With Us On YouTube